Pocket Mindmap Forum

Forum dedicated to technical support for Pocket Mindmap
Welcome to Pocket Mindmap Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Import/Export to FreeMind

Last post 09-02-2009, 11:16 by jmk. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-25-2006, 7:25 50404

Import/Export to FreeMind

FreeMind (http://freemind.sourceforge.net/) is a nice mind mapping application that has the great benefit of being free. I use it for all my mind-mapping on my PC.

I'm currently thinking about buying Pocket Mindmap and the lack of integration between the two is going to be problematic for me, so I'd really appreciate import/export functionality so I can move mind maps between the two.

Incidentally, FreeMind can import MindManager X5 maps so there is a way to get from Pocket Mindmap to FreeMind via this intermediate format. I haven't found a way to come back to Pocket Mindmap though... and I don't know what information is lost (if any) by using an intermediate format.

FreeMind has an XML-based format and can import/export using XSLT so maybe that's the way to convert. Being open source, you could contribute this functionality to the FreeMind project and so get your product mentioned in their documentation & product - which might be a nice bit of marketing for you.
  •  10-30-2006, 22:08 50856 in reply to 50404

Re: Import/Export to FreeMind

Hello,

you'll find an XSLT script to export to and import from Freemind in the developer area (http://www.pocketmindmap.com/IndoorID.asp?PMM.PMMDeveloper.EN).

Best Regards,

Jutta Klebe
    JKRB Software
    Filed under: ,
  •  06-17-2007, 16:13 65654 in reply to 50856

Would just to give my support that I would also welcome native support of Freemind files in Pocket MindMap. The ability to have a mind map file sychronised between my PPC and my PC and being able to work on it where ever is great.

I appreciate that there is the converter available, but this needs the conversion step - not the sync and go that I (and I assume others) would be looking for.

Cheers

Theo 

•  07-04-2007, 9:10 66861 in reply to 65654

You should check out Pocket Freemind. It natively supports the Freemind file format and runs on Windows Mobile.

http://eringal.com/pocketfreemind/

Filed under:
  •  07-04-2007, 15:57 66886 in reply to 66861

And you should check out Friedrich Nietzsche. He natively supports free minds and does not need the .NET framework

http://www.nietzsche.com/

CD

;-)

Connecting Worlds!
  •  09-27-2007, 16:26 71669 in reply to 50856

I've recently tried to use the xslt scripts to export and import Freemaps into Pocket Mindmap.  I will need to start doing this on a more frequent basis, so maybe you can point out what I'm doing wrong.

First, the software-  Freemind 0.90 beta 13, Pocketmind 1.3.3 and nxslt3

Second, the method - using the command to convert from pmap to freemind "nxslt3 Inbox.pmap pmap2fm.xslt -o test.mm"

When imported the following error occurs "

Error while parsing file:freemind.main.XMLParseException: XML Parse Exception during parsing of a map element at line 1: Expected: /

"

If you like, I can independently email you the working files for experimentation...

Shawn Way, PE.

•  10-16-2007, 11:41 73048 in reply to 71669

Hello,

Can you please send us the files to support (at) pocketmindmap.com. We will have a look. The XSLT scripts were developed for Freemind 0.8, so may be the format was slightly changed.

Best Regards,

Jutta Klebe
    JKRB Software

•  10-24-2007, 9:16 73465 in reply to 71669

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for the files.I found the error in the XSLT script and will provide an update soon. As a workaround please open your mindmap with Pocket Mindmap and choose from the Map menu the option Document.On this property dialog switch to the Info tab and remove any text in the comment field. Now the converted mindmap should load with Freemind.

While testing this I found other errors in the script for converting Freemind files to Pocket Mindmap but I will fix it as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Jutta Klebe
    JKRB Software

•  03-04-2008, 11:15 85370 in reply to 73465

jmk:

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for the files.I found the error in the XSLT script and will provide an update soon. As a workaround please open your mindmap with Pocket Mindmap and choose from the Map menu the option Document.On this property dialog switch to the Info tab and remove any text in the comment field. Now the converted mindmap should load with Freemind.

While testing this I found other errors in the script for converting Freemind files to Pocket Mindmap but I will fix it as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Jutta Klebe
    JKRB Software

Hello Jutta,

Will there be an update of these XSLT scripts or native support for freemind files soon?

When running nxslt2  with the provided XSLT script (fm2pmap) I get a very big error message.

It would be nice to be able to convert between freemind and pocketmindmap.

Hans 

•  06-15-2009, 23:23 121398 in reply to 73465

Hallo Jutta,

I have some freemind 0.9.0 mindmaps and would be lucky about a valuable transcoding, too.

Do you have any assumtions, if it may be available soon?

Dietmar

•  09-02-2009, 11:16 127291 in reply to 121398

Hello,

we just have released the version 1.3.4.42. Beside bugfixes the main new feature is XSLT export and import on devices with Windows Mobile 5 and newer. We also supply an export and import XSLT for FreeMind files.

Can you please try it? And please let us know if you have any issues with the XSLT scripts.

Best Regards,

Jutta

View as RSS news feed in XML